Sunday 20 November 2011

Well....this is awkward.


With most new countries we have visited. The wording is different. Easy enough, theres a million other
words to use to get your point across. Some discovered so far.

Apartment = Flat

Bathroom = Toilet

Pint of Beer = Large Cider

Man = Bloke (love that one, now I just need to find myself one)

Bullshit = Bullocks

and the:

You ok?

The first time I heard that I was in the midst of handing out my resumes for the second time and on the verge of tears over unemployed frustration. I gave the Starbucks man a quizzical look and open my mouth to tell him " Of course Im not ok! I dont have a job, Im broke as a joke, my feet hurt from these boots and Im sleeping on the floor cause I dont have a mattress!"Thankfully, before I could speak he asked me what I'd like to order.

After a couple more similar situations, Ive come to realize this is the British " Hey, How are ya?" However, when your brain's been wired to interpurt such a comment as a form of concern.....it makes you feel awkward. You first instint is defense...."Im fine, why do you ask? Does it look like Im not fine?" Instead, I just smile and nod. I dont really know how to respond apportiatly.

I mean, how does the squence go? Further research needs to be done.

Next Issue. The Language. We don't speak the language. Yes we both speak english, but I do believe I could understand spanish better then Im picking up on this language. How in the world will we ever be able to understand the mumble? Who knew it could be so difficult.

To add to the distress of communication, the art of conversation in Britian also demands advanced learning. Eye contact. I never realized how important it could be. It acknowledges the person you wish to speak to, and provides a sense of interest in that person. Here its not used to the same extent.

Often times, (as I discovered my first day of work) they do the pass by mumble. As they walk by they do not look at you, say something to you the exact moment they pass you, and expect you to follow them. Well, picture me standing there looking ahead as the manager walks by. Then he stops, turns around and taps me on the shoulder to follow him. Sadly, there were many times with everyone that happened.

Rude? I was thinking that at first. But they all do it to each other. Of course, they all speak British so they actually understand what it is the person is saying. I dont.

Unfortunatly, due to the language barrier....I come off as an idiot. Sorry, can you repeat that? What would you like me to do? What did you just say? Everytime with a confused look on my face.

I thought, maybe Im just not concentrating enough. So know Ive taken to looking intently at their mouth and squinting....because when your squinting people know your seriously listening. I think Im just coming off as the weird new girl. Alas, if only there were a class I could take to understand the language.

Another issue, which I am sure is a famous concern for most newcomers.....the wrong side of the road. Naively, I did believe this would not affect me....its not like im going to be driving. Did not consider crossing the road. I keep looking the opposite direction of oncoming traffic. That, and I hate waiting for the green man to walk. See how this could be dangerous?

This may be more of a Brighton thing then a Britian thing but......Seagulls? After my incident with the Seagull in Monte Carlo (Ya, it was me) I hate the filthy things. But they are everywhere and loved. You see tons of people feeding them....like they are cute little creatures. Gross. Brightons football team is even called Seagulls. Wow, real aggressive.

It honestly feels like I am re-wiring my brain to live in Britian. Changelling and exciting, also frustrating. But thats part of the fun right? Being somewhere new and different. Being the newcomer to this Royal land. I promise to keep you all updated on my awkward attempts to intigrate into this society. Lets face it, graceful....I am not.

1 comment: