Tuesday 15 November 2011

At First You Dont Succed.....Trial, Trial Again.


So, as we soon discovered...a trial run is when you go to a place and do an entire shift for free. Instead of an interview, they just throw you in there and see how you do. Then from there, decide if they want to hire you. Terrifying.

Christies up first. Black Lion. Nice pub, close to our place....lots of different kinds of beer. Nervous, we walked her to work and wished her luck. After work, she explained how different the drinks are in the UK then Canada. Even pouring them is different, with different measurement for the head and mixes to go in them. As well, all the beers are different....expect for the odd Bud or Corona.

On top of that, British people mumble. You can hardle understand them, even though their speaking english. Its going to take awhile to get used to that. Also, there is no such thing as table service. Everyone comes up to the bar for their drinks and to order food. So you are expected to make drinks, run food, clear tables, clean....everything. Everyone is everywhere. Very different.

After, they told Christie that they could give her part time till she was fully trained enough to do full time. Obviously, Christie didnt throughly enjoy the job even though the people were friendly. Then, as luck would have it....she got a call for an interview and the place she was hoping would call. The Little Bay. After sitting down with the owner, she knew she would love it. Easy going, resturant (table service!!!), and a really kind man.....she got the job. She would start training right away....no silly trial.

Christie didnt have the same luck with the Body shop. After a quick introduction, they handed her a product and sent her into the lions den. While Christie did an amazing job, faking it till you make it, (especially with no training at all) they called her into the office, sat her down....and said " If we call you, great. If we dont, thanks for coming in" Curt and Rude. She was to good for that place anyways.

Stef was next for her trial at PHO. A vietnamesse resturant. Stef rocked it. She was busing tables, expoing food, running drinks, taking orders. Even with the tricky words, she faked it and sold those sauces like no ones business. After her trial, she was nervous....but it was silly. Next morning they offer her a job, with a shift that night.

Two girls with jobs, one to go.

My turn. Font, a bar in the lanes of Brighton. Huge, cheap drinks and a popular place to go. Now, I didnt have much bar experience to begin with and after Christies experience I was nervous. However, after a quick introduction they gave me a card and said go help customers. Well, I did the best I could. I was slow but holding my own. When I wasnt helping customers I was busy clearing tables, doing dishes and helping run food. I kept busy. After, they said they would call me the next day.

They never called till Saturday. And on saturday, the manager says he wants to do ANOTHER trial (remeber no pay) on Friday, depending how that goes then maybe he will give me a job. I cant wait another 6 days without a job, and a maybe employment. Looks like Im back at square one.

Over the Sunday and Monday I handed out all together over 50 resumes. Im exhausted. And the harrassing from the girls about me being an unemployed bum are getting old. I need a job!!

I had an interview today for a resturant, and an interview tomm for a pub. And if all else fails....FONT. However, I really hope I dont have to resort to working there. So, for all that take pity on me....keep your fingers crossed I get a job. Canadian funds are suffering.

However, while we havent had much time to see Brighton. We are really enjoying our apartment. Were nesting. Staying in, drinking tea...enjoying a TV we bought for 20 pounds. Second hand. After so much go go go the last 70 days...I like doing nothing. That and we cant afford to do anything, so it works. Settling is the hardest. But were doing alright.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I am DYING to see some pics of your new city and the flat! Let us know when you are all home to skype. We are up at all hours...no joke. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah this update is my favorite..mostly because of the trials for free. Those English'lll getcha! I had the most anxiety for Christie reading this, because I know she'd be as nervous as I would. Reading about Stef's job I knew she'd rock it...anyone who can handle the Duke is built like steal for any pressure! I will pray for Karina...but isn't there a Brit Chalet over there? Good show team (read that in a British accent)!..... um wtf three months no skype....I know three people who may be off the Christmas list this year....

    ReplyDelete