Thursday 29 September 2011

Balls to the Wall: Caution to the Wind

I bet you bloggers are getting pretty excited about all these new blog post. At least I tell myself people read this. Haha(no im not actually laughing out loud, i just felt the haha was nessacary) Okay so fourth day or fifth or I dunno one day in Florence, we decided to go to Lucca. In highschool I went to Lucca and loved it...it is the one place I really remeber. Lucca is a small town surronded by a medieval wall. A huge, gorgous wall. A hour and a half train ride and there it was. You walk in a the hustle and bussel of the city outside fades away. Inside it is calm, quante and filled with trees and flowers. We rented some awesome crusier bikes with a cool bell and a basket!! So much fun. The whole day we crusied the streets of Lucca...down the alleys and into the squares. We found the flea market I remeber from high school and all bought ourselves a scarf. These light weight scarfs are all the craze here....now I feel european, or like tourist trying to be europeanian. We had a lovely long lunch as well.... wine, meat platter, salad and bruscetta. Stef found 45 euro on the ground the other night so we treated ourselves. We biked along the wall for along time, it was just so beautiful we didn want to leave. However, 6 hours flys by in Lucca and we had to go. Took us 2 hours to get home, but we love train rides. After a long day of biking we were beat, plus we leave for Rome the next day so we had to get sleep.
What a Great Day to Turn 24

On september 28 we were offically a month into our trip. It is at this time you realize why people backpack and travel for 5 months. I remeber being in Brussels only 7 days in and meeting a guy Alex who had been backpacking for a year and still going. I must have looked at him like he had four heads, because at that point I couldnt comprehend the thought. It is amazing how things change, how you see the world differently and how your prioties become different. We are now fully in the swing of things. Positive and sure of ourselves, always ready for a challenge, and excited for every brand new day. Things come much easier to us now and we find ourselves enjoying the beauty of just being. Standing in a square and apperciating all that is around you. Anyways....enough of that. For Rome we booked the Papaya for one night and the rest of the nights at a different hostel. Accomdation is tight in Rome so we were just happy to find an affordable place to stay. The train ride was nice as usually and only an hour long. As well, the Papaya was pretty easy to find, still a bit of a hike in the back packs but we are just happy we are getting better with directions and finding places. The Papaya is an all girl dorm and you can tell. It was bright and clean and the bathrooms did not smell. Which proves my point....boys are stinky and gross. Our room had colorful sheets and luggage lockers....which is always great!! The first girl in our dorm was Rachel from New York and very friendly. Shes traveling alone but staying with family. She also went to Paris, and she also hated it. Even cut her stay there short....its true....just see the sights and leave. After getting freshed up we went and found ourself a nice resturant to eat at. My parents of course sent a card with Stef.....which makes it a bit easier being away from home on your birthday. With their generous gift we got the fancy food on the menu. Christie got pasta with lobster and me and stef got pasta with clams and mushrooms. Delicious...melt in your mouth. We also had the local wine which goes superbly with the pasta. Sitting in a sidewalk cafe in Rome eating incrediable pasta with your two best friends, you realize....I am blessed. Here I am celebrating my 24 birthday in Rome. I am right where I am destined to be. After we got some more cheap wine (and amazing) and went to the hostel. Then we got all dolled up and wasted and danced the night away. Psyche. Contry to popular belief we sat with Rachel and Frankie(from the uk) played cards, laughed and talked the night away. Followed by a skype session with my parents. It was the best birthday of my life, one I will never forget, one I am so thankful to have had experienced.

1 comment:

  1. Just so you know, I check this blog almost every day! You have been busy lately! I'm so glad you had a wonderful birthday. I was thinking about you ALL day. Keep it up, I know I'm one of many who reads this awesome blog! The pictures are great, although I'd love it if you threw in a little video clip here and there. I don't know how hard that is to do, but if it's not hard, you should! Love you girls! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete